Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Reading Notes Week 13: The Sparrows and the Snake

The Sparrows and the Snake:
The mother sparrow flying around frantically.
Source: The Baldwin Project

  • In this story, two sparrows have a nest in a tree next to a man's house. Soon after building their nest, the mother sparrow laid eggs. When the babies hatched, the happy father flew away to find food for his new family. On his way back home, he ran into the mother sparrow who was flying around frantically. He asked what was wrong and she told him that why he was gone a snake had crawled into their nest and devoured their babies. I told him that you would come for him and pluck his eyes out, but he said what is a tiny sparrow to do to me. The father sparrow was livid and after comforting his wife, began devising a plan. One night, he saw the good man who lived in the house returning with a lamp. He just so happened to leave his window open and the father sparrow went and got the lamp and decided to burn the nest down. When he lit the nest on fire, the snake had awoken from his sleep to the sound of crackling twigs from the fire and when he went to flee the nest, the good man came out and he stabbed the snake while trying to put the fire out and keep his house safe. 
  • My ideas:
    • I want to use this story for my portfolio, but currently, I do not have any animals in my project. I want to keep the stories consistent, so I want to change this story and make the characters human. I would keep the same story line, but make the character humans and add dialogue. The story is sad and powerful as it is, but I feel putting it in human perspective will make the story more intense. For ethical purposes, instead of killing the bad person, I will simply make him go to jail. Maybe I could even make a remorseful ending. 
    • Another thing I could do is to make the characters human, but I could also make the story in a villains stand point. This would be a very intense story.
  • Bibliography: 
    • "The Sparrows and the Snake" from The Tortoise and the Geese and Other Fables of Bidpai by Maude Barrows Dutton. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning by HEART: Read an article about reading- Preserving Deep Reading

A common problem I used to have. Source: Pinterest The Case for Preserving the Pleasure of Deep Reading The one thing that the a...