Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Week 13 EC Reading: The Magic Food-Bowl of the Sun

The Magic Food-Bowl of the Sun:
The Magic Food-Bowl
Source: Farang


  • Summary:
    • One night, Kauravae tempted his cousin, Yudhishtir, the oldest of the Pandava brothers into a night of gambling. You see, Yudhishtir has a weakness for gambling, so when he was offered the change, he could not resist. Yudhisthir was on a serious losing streak and eventually gambled away everything, including his kingdom. Once it was lost, Yudhisthir and his brothers went away into the woods where the laws and robbers lived. They ate nothing but fruits and roots, and whatever they could hunt. They were starving. Yudhishtir prayed to the sun telling the sun how miserable they were and that they lived on barley nothing to eat. He requested that they get to move into the bounty of the Gods to relieve some of the distress. The son had pity on then and gave them a magic food bowl. This was not just any magic food bowl. This food bowl had the power of producing whatever food was asked for. This is how the Pandavas were able to endure their exile.
  • My ideas: 
    • I would change the story and put it in Yudhishtir's perspective. I feel like this would make the story more powerful. I want to feel what Yudhishtir felt when he was gambling. I want to know why gambling was worth risking everything that he owned. Had he won a lot previously brining about his addiction to gambling? Or was he just addicted to chance itself? I want the reader to be able to feel how Yudhishtir felt when he lost everything. I want to know if this changed his views on gambling. I also want to know how the Pandava's felt know that their brother was the reason they had to live off nothing in the woods. I wonder if they ever tried to plot against him for revenge? I wonder if the brother's tried to help Yudhishtir out of his gambling addiction.
    • Another idea would be to change the story in the perspective of Kauravae. Was this his evil plan all along? To make Yudhistir lose the kingdom? Why would he do this? Did he want the kingdom for himself? Was he the one who got Yudhistir addicted to gambling in the first place?
    • I feel like there are a lot of things I could do to this story. For sure, I will add dialogue.
  • Bibliography: "The Magic Food-Bowl of the Sun" from Indian Fables and Folklore by Shovona Devi. Source.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning by HEART: Read an article about reading- Preserving Deep Reading

A common problem I used to have. Source: Pinterest The Case for Preserving the Pleasure of Deep Reading The one thing that the a...