Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Week 8 Reading and Writing

So far, the reading and writing assignments have been going well. My favorite reading so far has been the Ramayana. I felt a better connection with the characters from this story, which is why it has been my favorite so far. In my reading notes, I always try to focus on one story, that I could write my story about, this way I am not choosing between several stories when I write my story. I always start my reading notes by providing a detailed summary of the story. In this part I also make note if something did not make sense to me. Then, I follow the summary with my ideas about how I would change the story. Sometimes, I include multiple ways, because I am not sure which way I will go yet. When reading the stories, I like listening to the audio as well. I get stuck on a name, and that causes me to lose focus, so when I use the audio tool, I am able to keep on track.

So far, I am really enjoying my project. I chose to do a portfolio, so I could focus on a variety of topics, instead of one main category. I really enjoy the freedom that comes with doing a portfolio. My biggest accomplishment this far is just writing the stories. I am not much of a writer and I do not consider myself to be very creative, so just changing these stories is a big accomplishment to me.

Looking forward, I want to challenge myself to try new writing styles. So far, I have found myself just changing the perspective or changing the main character. While this is my favorite style to use, I am growing too comfortable using it and would like to try and expand my writing skills. As for the readings, I would really like to take more time and enjoy the stories. I read the stories, but I do not really take the time to enjoy them and let the story line sink in. I think that the unfamiliar names and places are what cause this for me. I have a hard time remembering what is going on because I cannot remember the characters names.

Taj Mahal reflection on the Yamuna River
Source: Wikimedia Commons
I used this photo in my latest portfolio banner, Losing Amba. I used this image as a representation of the Yamuna river, which in the story is where Amba enters the funeral pyre. This photo really stuck out to me because it is beautiful and gave a setting for this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning by HEART: Read an article about reading- Preserving Deep Reading

A common problem I used to have. Source: Pinterest The Case for Preserving the Pleasure of Deep Reading The one thing that the a...